Monday, March 19, 2012

Talent Show Aftermath

So I did it. It has been done. Done it I did.

I performed my comedy routine at Regent's Got Talent and it was awesome!

Let me give you the full scoop.

First off I can't believe it is already over. On Friday from 1 to 5 pm I was in the main stage theatre going through a sound check, rehearsal, and meetings for that night. The sound check was quick but I found a flaw in my act. See, I wanted to dance down the aisle to get the audience all hyped up. At the sound check I danced my little heart out down that aisle but by the time I got to the mic I was completely out of breath. So I had to change to a more dance/walk style which helped.

At the full rehearsal I did my whole act and even though I got through it without messing up I felt discouraged at the end because I was talking to an empty theatre with all but two people in it; the DJ and the sound man in the back. They did not laugh. It is very hard to do a comedy act without any response from an audience because everything I do after the first joke depends on the audience.

Finally, my time came to perform for real but I didn't have my mic when the DJ stopped the music and asked if the audience was ready for more. Luckily there was a very helpful stage manager named Anna who told the DJ to play more tunes. That little bump in the road had me going crazy but then it happened. I was in place, my name was announced, the music started and I went for it.

Every time I perform I feel like I black out a little. I don't remember a lot of what I do but I did remember my act. I danced down the aisle, dancing with some people in the audience. Getting on stage and starting. Only a little out of breath. Not being able to see anyone because of the spot light but being able to hear them laugh. The first wave of laughter got me going and kept me going through my act. My worst fear was bombing and finding out...I'm not funny. But that didn't happen on one joke, the joke I actually thought was the weakest, not only got prolonged laughter but people started clapping!

I must say I was sad when it was done. Even though I didn't win I had a great time and I want to write more jokes and try myself out in some open mic nights.

I have always asked God for a sign of where I should go in life and after my performance on Friday it finally clicked that throughout my life, different people of all ages, coming from all places have told me I should be a comic. Maybe this is truly where I am meant to be.

I'll find out and let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment